Bento Bowl x Japanese Cooking Recipe
“Traditionally a bento uses a boxed shaped container which is filled with different food items such as rice, meat, vegetables. I love to combine different kind of japanese ingredients and turn them into a great and individual meal.
Get inspired by our selection of bento receips.
Ingredients (Tonkatsu on Stick)
8 pcs pork tenderloin, cut into strips
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs, beaten
Ingredients (Japanese Slaw)
1/4 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 white onion, thinly sliced
2 avocadoes, cubed
3/4 cup Japanese or American Style mayonnaise
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
Method (Tonkatsu on Stick)
1. Tenderize meat by pounding it with the back of a cleaver then season it with salt and ground black pepper.
2. Place flour in a plate, bread crumbs on a separate plate and beaten eggs on another plate.
3. Prepare a deep fryer and heat oil to 180C.
4. Dredge each cutlet in flour, then in egg and finally in breadcrumbs. Carefully place them in skewers and place each pork cutlet in a deep fryer. Cook until golden brown, once cooked transfer into a paper towel lined wire rack.
Method (Japanese Slaw)
1. Soak shredded cabbage in a bowl of ice cold water for at least an hour. This removes the cabbage smell and makes it crisp.
2. Mix all vegetables together in a salad bowl.
3. Prepare you dressing by mixing together mayonnaise, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
Method (Bento Bowl)
1. Place freshly cooked jasmine rice at the bottom of the bowl.
2. Add a scoopful of chicken teriyaki on one side of the bowl, add two pieces of Tonkatsu on Stick on the other side then add Japanese slaw on one.
3. Top with the hot mayonnaise dressing.”