10 Reasons to Wear a Luxury Watch on Your Wrist
A luxury timepiece can be as versatile as the gentleman sporting it. As a collector’s item for the connoisseur, as utility with high symbolic value or as a fashion accessory – they are far more than instruments that measure time. Here are 10 reasons, why high-end watches are inevitable for all men, who appreciate the exceptional and beautiful.
01. Jewelry: First of all, luxury watches are simply stunning. Watches can be pieces of exceptional beauty, just as any accompaniment, one might think. Watches, however, have a special status linked to the functional excuse of measuring the time. Even though wristwatches were initially worn by women, they are now, first and foremost, a male fashion accessory. And ultimately, it is the one item that can make the difference in a very thin scope of action a man wardrobe allows.
02. Emotional Value: Watches are attached with emotions, as it accompanies its wearer in good times and bad. Not only are they physically with you, but actually present when indicating the most precious good we have. As gifts received from our closest friends and family members, watches can mark special events in life such as milestone anniversaries, weddings or professional achievements. Quite commonly, they are passed along from one generation to the next. So there is a good chance that even your future great-grandson is going to spend time with your favorite timepiece on his wrist.
03. Perfection: Perfection is like the holy grail of watchmaking. Even the best manufacturers won’t ever reach it entirely, but they will always seek it with endless commitment. Not only from a time-measurement standpoint, but also regarding its aesthetics and quality of manufacturing, is the pursuit of perfection one of the key reasons to buy a luxury timepiece instead of a 3-dollars quartz watch.
04. Functionality: Your watch is always there when you need it. Sure, your iPhone or Android device will also provide you with the correct time measure. But after one or two days your battery is empty and you will need to recharge it. Also, it is not required to shut it down or take it off in airplanes, government buildings and other signal-transmission-free places. Additionally, taking a quick look at your wrist is way more convenient than rummaging in your pocket (That’s why some even consider the smartphone as a step backward to the “coat pocket time measurement”). Your smartphone might be able to do all the fancy stuff, but the watch is a simple and functional lifetime workhorse.
05. Punctuality: Punctuality is part of a gentleman’s code of conduct, reified by his watch. Next to actually supporting a successful time management, high-end watches are therefore also material artifacts that dignify the importance of time on a symbolic level.
06. Exclusiveness: There is no doubt that it is desirable to own something special that distinguishes you from most other people. There is no doubt that exclusiveness is about social status. However, wearing a prestigious brand can’t be reduced to the aspect of “showing off” in front of other people. The average person has never heard of names like Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC or Ulysse Nardin. For most watch aficionados, the motivation of owning something rare and unique primarily arises from the mere awareness of owning something exceptional, rather than paying attention to what others might think.
07. Mechanics: Compared to other utilities we encounter every day, the functioning of a watch is pretty simple. Its basic mechanism has been providing us with time measurement for hundreds of years. And yet there is so much innovation in a luxury watch, striving to achieve an even more accurate and durable time indication. Side effects: Setting free the (gentle-)man child.
08. Mobility: Yes. Even though they generally come without wheels, watches are quite mobile. Unlike a harem of sports cars or a selection of exclusive wines, you can take it anywhere without any notable effort.
09. Timelessness: Some of the previous points were already linked to the aspect of timelessness. But think of it, folks. What else in your life is designed and crafted for such a long period of time? Also in future generations, a watch will be based on the very same technical and aesthetical principles that it is today. That’s why high-end watches are not only produced, but actually worn for decades.
10. Statement: Do you prefer sporty divers or elegant dress watches? Maybe it is the history of model A or manufacturer B that arouses your interest?. The decision for a particular watch contributes to telling others who you are. Not only that, but also the mere fact of wearing a luxury watch reflects a bundle of inherent statements in and for itself. And a lot of them just perfectly match values that are quite commonly regarded as gentlemanlike.